PDA

View Full Version : "the Pearl", Steinbeck's Novel !!!

DemCoDon
29-11-2002, 15:56
KINO AND THE PEARL

Finish up “The pearl, Steinbeck’s novel, most of my friends would say that “The pearl” must be a parable. I don’t deny or even agree with them. In my opinion, “The pearl” is not a parable, a legend story or a true story. “The pearl” is a synthesis, which is built from the realities of the life and made up by the unrealities of the author’s imagination. “The pearl” told us about Kino, a main character, who luckily got the pearl in the world, and then suffered on failure and grief, yet, he also had a great time of happiness and pride for having that pearl. Kino is an intriguing character. He has a lot of interesting variety differently characteristics that today I want to delve, analyze and share with you every single of his characteristics.

The beginning of the story, Kino was centered of the sweet lovely innocent spectacles such as, “It was very good- Kino closed his eyes again to listen to his music,” “Kino squatted by the fire pit and rolled a hot corncake and dipped it in sauce and ate it,” and “Kino sighed with satisfaction- and that was conversation.” Kino seemed having fully happiness, delighted with himself and everything he owned. From the mat Kino and his wife lay on, the hanging box where his child sleeps and the sandals Kino wears, all of that told me about a needy family, yet, honorably, they can have happiness and satisfaction for their own themselves.

Everything had to change since Kino’s child, Coyotito, was poisoned by a scorpion. Loving the child so much so that Kino came to see the doctor reluctantly. He knows people in the town don’t like or even welcome him, and the doctor, who “was of a race which for nearly four hundred years had beaten and starved and robbed and despised Kino’s race….,” he might refuse to heal Coyotito. Kino, in his mind, he all knows that he hates the doctor extremely, “He could kill the doctor more easily than he could talk to him……” However, believing in medicine acknowledgements that can recover his child, then “Kino took off his hat and stood waiting.” Kino is now showed up with good characteristics : loving his child devotedly and have a lot of respect to the class of higher degree. In the life, I’m sure there are a lot of bad selfish parents who could abandon their children or treat them badly so that Kino was impressive readers with a heart of loving the child devotedly. And we all know that Kino is an uneducated man; however, he knew how to act politely and respectfully to people of higher degree, typically, the doctor, who in Kino’s eyes would be an animal but got a lot of honor from the society.

The climax of the story when Kino got the great pearl and acting like an animal. Steinbeck, excellently, could set up the main character Kino with an animal’s traits “He put back his head and howled. His eyes rolled up and he screamed and his body was rigid.” Kino is now being nervous, worried and afraid of anyone who comes up to him and may be wants to take away from him his pearl. He suspects anyone even his wife, Juana. He can’t sleep like a log as he did before and often had nightmares at midnight. All of that caused from having the great pearl. The pearl is now being evil. It took away from him the innocent, satisfaction as he had at the beginning of the story and made him become cruel, animal and doubtful, such as “But Kino’s hand had closed tightly on the pearl again, and he was glancing about suspiciously…..,” “He struck her in the face with his clenched fist and she fell among the boulders, and he kicked her in the side,” and “He hissed at her like a snake….” However, from the pearl, Kino would have pretty good ambitions and proud of himself. In the pearl, Kino could see that he and Juana were dressed and wore shoes, “Kino holding a Winchester carbine,” and “Coyotito sitting at a little desk in a school.” Those ambitions are really simply honorable and lovely good things.

A perilous journey, incredible and unpredictable disasters came to Kino and his family at the end of the story. Steinbeck, a stellar faculty, again, had done successfully and impressively the main character Kino with the appearance of the human but acting entire perfectly like an animal “…..Kino was taking off his white clothes, for dirty and ragged though they were they would show up against the dark night,” “Kino edged like a lizard down the smooth rock shoulder,” and “His spread fingers gripped the mountains and his bare toes found support through contact….” Many readers included me would feel sorry for the lovely infant, Coyotito, who had died at the end of the story. We might sympathize and excuse Kino for the action of killing the hunter because we all know that Kino loved his child so much. The death of the child, which the hunter made, was a shock and an unacceptable thing to Kino so that he couldn’t control himself not to murder the hunter. Also caused from the death of the child, Kino perceived an evil in the pearl, and then decided to throw it away, the pearl he honored, protected and recognized as his soul before.

“The pearl” is ended but opened in the reader’s heart a theory : the luck is not easy to have, we desire to have it, and when we had it, we not always got good things from it. Had better admit anything you already had. Typically, Kino, who is considered as a main character with good characteristics; however, he hoped and believed in the pearl too much so that he was become a murderer and had to suffer on grieves and disasters. If Kino listened to Juana and got rid of the pearl earlier, he would perhaps not get so many troubles and the death of his loving child.

LylyAnna

satanicblack
24-07-2003, 21:45
i hate to read books but in my knowledge i think the author of the pearl is not john steinbeck.i've heard of:Tortilla Flats (1935) and Of Mice and Men (1937)The G****s of Wrath (1939)The Forgotten Village (1941) and The Moon is Down (1942)Cannery Row (1945) and East of Eden (1952)The Red Pony (1937) and Cannery Row (1945)but the pearl,i'm not sure about that

satanicblack
24-07-2003, 21:48
about me the best novel in my point of view would be to kill the mocking bird by harper lee.

satanicblack
24-07-2003, 21:53
but i only read book when i was kid.Now i think it's so boring.i only like to read a funny book like trạng.he's a f****** genius,isn't he?

IM-THE-UGLY-ONE
07-09-2003, 05:59
i hate to read books but in my knowledge i think the author of the pearl is not john steinbeck.i've heard of:Tortilla Flats (1935) and Of Mice and Men (1937)The G****s of Wrath (1939)The Forgotten Village (1941) and The Moon is Down (1942)Cannery Row (1945) and East of Eden (1952)The Red Pony (1937) and Cannery Row (1945)but the pearl,i'm not sure about that
i'm sure the pearl's author is John Steinbeck !!!!! I did read the whole book for the purpose of writing an essay in English 2 class, so i can not be mistaken !!!!!