PDA

View Full Version : It Essay

fireball
28-11-2002, 09:10
I start this thread because IT Essay will help you to improve your English skill (writing mainly). Read this situation carefully:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Four well-known software developers are asked to talk about current and future trends in SOFTWARE TECHNOLOGY. The questions are posed if they thought that software purchasers are getting what they need? what should developers be doing differently to give purchasers a better product?

Mary Evans:
" In general, I think people are getting what they want - there are a lot of creative things being done with paint software, word processing, DTP (desktop publishing) systems, and the like. Do users want more? Of course! Users will always want more. The computer is an incredibly powerful tool, and any software that makes it easier, faster, more creative, or more cost-effective will inevitably be in demand. But I'm generally optimistic about the way things are going at the moment. I think most of the major software manufacturers are able to read the market quite well".

Gerry Harper:
"I'm afraid I completely disagree with Mary. I just don't think that software purchasers are getting the technical support they need. While the products are getting more and more complex, and more and more expensive. It seems that support is starting to be thought of an additional business oppoturnity. More generally, I've thought for some time that applications are getting too big, and that they are trying to do too much. Yes, they're versatile and powerful, but they're also often overwhelming . I think that we need are simple little programs that are easy to understand and use, and that work together to accomplish more complex tasks"

Matt Andrews:
"I really can't agree with that. To image we can just go back to "simple little programs" just ignore the complex needs of many of today's software users. No, I'm sure that you can't stop progress. Suppliers know what their customers want - they just can't supply it quickly enough. I've studied the market very closely, and I've found that purchasers' needs seem always to exceed the capability of the available software by a constant time-frame of about six to twelve months."

Bob Bolton:
" I think usres are getting what they want, provided that their needs fit the off-the-shelf application. Specialized software is usually so specific that it should be written in-house for businesses. Developers should add features that the customer needs, not what they think customers want. Some effort should be made to get feedback from the users before making an upgrade so that the proper features are added".
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: Which of the four speakers do you agree with? Why?