PDA

View Full Version : [DIS] Grammar problems

NewLove1986
21-04-2003, 18:21
Hi, I would like to discuss some problems we have in English grammar.
First I have a question to ask you. It's about inversion:
**- "Here we are" or "Here are we"? I used to read a statement: "Here we go."; "here you are.", but "there is coming the train." Is there any law of that? Thanks.

hi_friends
22-04-2003, 15:17
Hi your question is very interesting.
Inversion is usually used after adverbial direction and place ( this kind of inversion is found particularly in formal or literary styles)
and used with some verbs of place and movement like climb, go, come, fly, stand, run...
In speech, inversion often occurs after "here" and "there" and some adverb such as back, down, in,...
But we don't invert subject and verb when the subject is a pronouce( ex: in the doorway stood her father ( we dont say in the doorway stood he)
I think "here we are" and "here we go" is something like idiom(not inversion) you can check their meaning in dictionary

tiger2003
24-04-2003, 09:55
I want to contribute some of my understanding to this topic :

1. Here/there and some other adverbs when it go with verbs and stand first in the sentence, we have invert verb and subject when subject is a noun. For example
Here comes Thang, There goes your brother,
I stop the care and up works the prolicemen

If subject is a pronoun for example we/ you/ they ect

We must no invert subject and verb. For xample
Off he goes,
Here we are,
There we go.

Do you understand that. I hope so

NewLove1986
25-04-2003, 18:29
Thanks a lot, I agree with your point of view, and it seems to be right, my teacher used to guessed that but he wasn't sure... really wonderful... Now I have another question, How can we say that: "Còn hai ngày nữa là đến sinh nhật anh." I can't find what book explaining this, please help me, thanks.

phildoan
25-04-2003, 21:40
it's only 2 more days away from your birthday,bro.

phildoan
25-04-2003, 21:50
firstly i would like to introduce myself that i'm psd[i changed my name because i forgot my password])and i think you know me.And secondly i like to say that i'm not sure the answer i gave you is right or wrong.that's all!

NewLove1986
27-04-2003, 10:22
I don't think your answer is satisfactory, but I'll ask my teacher about it, don't worry about that. You are my good friend, ok?
Now you can get your old nick by re-log up (đăng ký lại) with the nick, then enter your e-mail-address, Forum will send you your password... good luck to you.

hi_friends
28-04-2003, 14:21
so what do you think about this"there is two more days to your birthday "

NewLove1986
06-05-2003, 12:10
It's not satisfactory, I have the correct one here: "There are two days off your birthday." What do you think about it?...

hi_friends
10-05-2003, 14:07
Why did you use "off" here? What does "off" mean? I can't get it. By the way do you know how to translate" từng, mỗi" in English? for example: Đẹp hay xấu, đó là tùy theo quan điểm của từng(mỗi) ngươi".
tt

NewLove1986
11-05-2003, 09:18
I can't explain this, but as far as I know, in this case 'off' means 'còn... nữa'. I remember seeing it somewhere. Ok, I'll check it later.
I think you know 'every, each', and your sentence may be translated like: '(it's) beautiful of bad belongs to everybody (each person)'s point of view'. What do you think about it?
Thanks for your reply.

hi_friends
12-05-2003, 16:20
Thank you for your reply. Maybe you are right. Remember to tell me when you find out the meaning of "Off" Bye

boulevard
18-06-2003, 17:41
Hi, I am Programmer but English not best. Can you help me about English? I can help you about Computer or network

yuna_admirer
18-06-2003, 22:59
Inversion makes me remember the "Jedi Master" name Yoda in every StarWar movie, he often say something like :

- Solve this puzzle we must
- Meditate on this i will
- Arround the survivor create a perimeter.

Some are right and some are wrong. But what's its for ? Should we use it for emphasis !

You must do this - it will sound less important than

Do this , you must - with the heavy accent on the "must" word.

NewLove1986
23-06-2003, 15:22
*Hi, hi_friends, sorry for my lateness, I couldn't find 'off' again anywhere, so please wait more, I will try my best to look up it, ok?

*Hi, boulevard, your suggestion is very interesting, but please let us know what you would like to develop (vocabulary, grammar, or...). We are always willing to help you... thanks.

*Hi, yuna_admirer, I find it difficult to answer you, but I also try to satisfy you with some logical ideas:
-Firstly, grammartical errors are not important in daily conversation, so your sentences are not reliable, you should check them in Dictionary or Grammar books.
-Secondly, inversion is usually used for emphasic, especially in literature, and it can be used in oral words but not often:
'Do this, you must' sounds more powerfully.
-Thirdly, you should remember that 'must' infers a bit of anger and is very impolite, so be careful when using it. If I have chance, I will explain it more.
*Lastly, Thanks for your care...

NewLove1986
30-06-2003, 15:13
Hi, Hi_friends, I have the answer for your problem now... Dictionary explains 'Off' like this:
- "Ở hoặc tới một điểm xa trong không gian hoặc thời gian:
*The town is still five miles off: thành phố vẫn còn cách xa 5 dặm.
*The holidays are not so far off: ngày hè không còn xa nữa."
And now, I think you can be self-confident when using 'off' in the sentence.
HAVE A GOOD TIME...