PDA

View Full Version : improving your english

NGUYEN TRAC HUY
11-03-2003, 09:15
if you want improving your english .you must teach you self .that is the most important ,that you know .just a essay book ,strories book ,.....you should collect english film when you have spare time ,i think that you will need it ,i think that your english will improve in short time .how do you think ?
gook luck to you

NewLove1986
22-04-2003, 15:40
Learning English is also to contact with people in English, and you need s.o who is good at English solve your problems during learning, do you agree with me?

tiger2003
24-04-2003, 09:35
I think the esiest way to learn English is to go to this forum and post your opinion in English. Don't mention any thing very far , just do a very simple things.

Every day, you go to this forum and post your idea, for example, maybe the first day you can only write one English sentence, the next day maybe two or one.

That's ok, and you will be very surprised that after one month your english will improve.

When everyone contributes their idea to any topic here, so I think it is obviously that the topic will run from very poor to very interesting.

Do you think so, please quickly post more and more your thoughts, your ideas, and of course your recomendation to this topic.

Bye and have a good day

nttranbao
24-04-2003, 15:49
Looks like we dont have any topic else to discuss...why always ...howta learn English well, howta improve it....? So boring, cuz I gotta "BE" heard about this many times, all year round and round. If things go on this way, where else would we go rather than ...GOT_NOTHING_TO_SAY, or you can say, NONSENCE! Sorie if someone may feel offended, but I really want to talk "real English" about " real things".
Nice to meet you!

tiger2003
24-04-2003, 15:58
I think it's better not to complain about poor topic. Just be a positive and creative and try to post your idea here or your recomendation instead of complaning.

Do you think so? Many Vnese people only want to complain. for example they complain that our society is not good, many goverment official don't do enough or many thing but they themselves do nothing.

Please ask yourself, I think for the first time maybe the topic is very poor, do you know why because our English is poor that's why we cannot describe our thoughts.

So I think our topic today is how to promote this forum to be very interesting forum? Please post your idea here please.

Have a good day and be positive about anthing.

men in black
03-05-2003, 10:48
oh it s a good idea

men in black
03-05-2003, 10:49
can you give me some good forum

tiger2003
05-05-2003, 17:51
This forum is really good. We don't need another forum. What we need is all of your contribution.
Do you agree with me?

zek3vil
20-05-2003, 15:21
Bài viết được gửi bởi tiger2003
Do you agree with me?
Of course I do, but my question is: do they agree with us? Who are they? They are those who always say "Vnese speak Vnese" Why is that, why don't just let us improve the language that we're learning?

tiger2003
20-05-2003, 19:23
Sorry zek3vil ,

I don't understand what you ask? We are all english learner here.that's why we come here and discuss something.

Can you make yourself more clearly?

zek3vil
20-05-2003, 20:02
Sorry, because you meant this forum is for english learners but what I wanted is not only this single forum, if we can discuss like every forum in this site, or further more every vnese sites without the complains like I have mentioned, that would be great? do u think?

tiger2003
20-05-2003, 20:13
Ok
Go ahead and post your topic here. I am sure your topic would be very nice and many many people will discuss it.

Don't complain anymore. I hate compalaning.
So can you answer my question : What's your purpose when you study English?

zek3vil
20-05-2003, 20:32
When I was about 15, I started listening to English music and watching American movies, so I decided that English is the first subject in school that would spent most of my time to study, and now I'm improving it so that I can read English books faster and reduce the grammar and spelling mistakes to the least as I write an article, but what I really want to achieve is to speak as fluently as a English native speaker.
What about yours?

Regards,
Zeke

tiger2003
20-05-2003, 20:46
Oh, Very ambitious
I am too but my goal is to improve Toefl score. just only thinking about that, in fact I do nothing :))
My work is relatively only in English, and maybe your are too. I have to read, to write, and sometime to discuss only in english.
I seems very difficult for the first time, but now I get used to it.
another question for you.
Do you anyweb site that provide Toefl materials for downloading? I want to improve my reading.

zek3vil
20-05-2003, 23:01
ohh, so u're in a good environment, you'll be best at English in no time, good luck.
I didn't take TOELF so I don't know much about it, But I did take IELTS, IELTS is quite easy and fun, I think you should consider taking IELTS instead of TOELF if you don't have any intentions to go to US.

tiger2003
21-05-2003, 07:26
I am sure I have an ambition to go to US or any other english speaking country but it seems very difficult. I have tried it before but it failed sharply. I always tell to myself that don't lose yourself and think ahead but .../

Have you ever watched the film" Orange Country"? In that film has the character who suddenly run into a novel on the beach under the sand. After reading that novel (of course it is very famous novel wrriten by a very famous writer) his spirit go very far. He even write another novel and send it to the writer. His novel is very very interesting. And you know He decides to become a writer. In order to become a writer he thinks that he have to study at the university (i am sorry I don't remember that university name - this university is also the writer's university). This film is very interesting because it seems that eveything blocks him from getting to his admire university .

After all that film sumaries "is it necessary to become a very good writer by only studying that university?" .

Now do you unserstand what I mean?

Sorry to make you confused

have a very nice day

zek3vil
21-05-2003, 14:52
Did you mean you tried to go to US and failed?
I've never seen such moive, but tell you what, the question which the movie gave out is exactly the question that I've been asking myself for years: "is it necessary to study in some universities in order to be good at what we really want to do?" U know I'm a self-learner, I'm tired of getting my feet to school, I like to collect information from books, I want to improve my self by reading them. And what is the most valuable thing we get from school, in my opinion it's not the knowledge, so what is it? It must be a certificate I think. Is it the the certificate that shows exactly what we're best at? I leave the answer to you. And now I'm kind of confused since I don't know what you meant when you told me the story. Did you mean that you'd do whatever it takes to be on a country you love?

tiger2003
21-05-2003, 15:33
Yeah, What shall I put it? I can say that you understand what I meant.

That's right, I already tried to go abroad for studying but failed. Many people encorage me to continue.

Many of my comtemporary friends really think that they have to go somewhere to study that's the only way for them to improve theirselves. And I am not an exception. They even compare themselves with our respective former president - Ho Chi Minh. There is only way to make revolutionary is to go aboard.

Do I should try again after all failures I have? I still don't know the answer yet.

Studying aboard is very good but not all. What do you think?

zek3vil
21-05-2003, 15:58
I think all that keep us away from being abroad is money. If money is not your problem then you have no reasons for giving up.
Yes, being abroad is an extremely good way to improve ourselves, so u should try harder, many people made it and you could make it too. But having said that studying abroad is the only way to make revolutionary is totally wrong! Having thoughts like that only shows you have passivity, don't be like "if I was in this country, I would....", you know it's all in you first, studying abroad can only improve what you've already had.
That's it and keep trying hard BTW.

tiger2003
21-05-2003, 19:15
you are completely right. Any ways, thanks so much for encouraging me. I will leave this topic here.
Do you have any interesting topic for dicussing? Maybe we will dicuss how to learn english effectively? because many people want to hear that.
For me I think first we need to improve reading, what do you think so?

zek3vil
22-05-2003, 18:27
Since we're not in a english speaking country, it's quite hard for us to improve our speaking skills. Then yes, reading is the first thing we should improve, somebody found that boring but I really love reading, the more we read, the more about grammar we'll learn, and it also improves our writting skills. It is nowaday easy for us to find something to read, just log on the Internet we'll have a hugest resource than anywhere else. And reading articles about IT even better since we'll get the best of both worlds :)

tiger2003
22-05-2003, 21:52
You have the same opinion with mine.

But I don't think reading as many as possible is the good way for improving your english and reading skill? Do you agree or disagree?

As far as I know, may vietnamese people especially those who work in IT field can read document in English very well. But is it true? In fact when you ask them to translate what they have read into vietnamese? Can you imagine? I am sorry , I mysefl after reading my translation, I think it is very awful.
That's very serious problem, we think that we understand what we read, but when we take it seriously into consideration, it seems that we don't understand at all.

Maybe Computer manuals or documents just only give us information about how to do so that the language is simple. But if we read the more complex document such as novel, or something at college or university it will be a very big deal.

So Why is that?
- I think the first problem is that we are not good at Vietnamese. This problem cannot be solved now. So we just forget it
- The second problem is that we don't often translate into a real vietnamese. Of course this work is very time-consuming .

I will stop here and listen to your opinion, and later I will point out some of my experience , maybe my experience is worng , and i hope every one will contribut their experience too.

zek3vil
24-05-2003, 00:25
When you said that reading as many as possible is not a good way to improve E., I thought to myself that it's a wrong state but in fact it sounds so right..
Why am I saying that, I mean of course the more we read, the more we'll get familiar with E. but as you said, we read it that doesn't mean we understand it, Many people like to convince others and even themselves that they can read and understand the most complex writting to show that they're good at E., and then they just don't care how much do they understand about it. Then time goes by, they thought that their E has been improved, but actually not at all (I'm talking myself and many others)
To solve the problem, I think we must take reading E seriously, read it, and read it again if you find yourself puzzled, don't assume that we did understand and throw it aside...
So what ur experiences are, I love to know.

word06
24-06-2003, 17:03
I think, English help job and wir can talk in Welt
tui nghi tieng anh giup chung ta trong cong viec tuong lai, giup chung ta tiep xuc voi kien thuc tren the gioi

U2T
26-06-2003, 16:32
I think to improve our English, the good way is that you should get chance to speak English to foreigners as much as possible coz it helps you to improve your speaking and listening skill so much...I often speak English to foreigners and I find out that my English get better more and more...Anyways ,its just my thoughts and I want to share it with you..I hope you get best result as using my

U2T
26-06-2003, 16:33
I think to improve our English, the good way is that you should get chance to speak English to foreigners as much as possible coz it helps you to improve your speaking and listening skills so much...I often speak English to foreigners and I find out that my English get better more and more...Anyways, its just my thoughts and I want to share it with you..I hope you get best result as using my experiences....Good luck!!!