PDA

View Full Version : English test - could you give me a hand?

fireball
30-01-2003, 01:13
Wow...this E forum is getting..hot (lol). Happy to see that.
Now this is a test of pupils at 10th class (Hanoi Amsterdam high school), she asked me and I answered but I'm not sure whether it was completed or not. Could you help me? Thanks :)

Find and correct mistakes:
1. There is no denying that China now plays a large role in the region and the world than ever before.
2. The interaction between China’s citizens and that of other countries is more intense. China’s
3. manufacturing exports – and, increasingly, its citizens’ demands for imports – bulk larger in the global
4. economy. China’s military is acquiring with unprecedented new capabilities. This is all the more
5. remarkable because it happened so rapidly. China has quadrupled its GDP since 1978, with real
6. GDP growth averaging around 9% per year from 1978 and 1995. Today, its GDP stands at more
7. than $ 1.1 trillion. China’s foreign trade grew at about 13% per year for the same period, making
8. China today the world’s fourth largest trade nation. In the 1900s, China became the world’s second-
9. largest recipient of foreign direct investments. Its military spending is growing by double-digits. Many
10. argue that China is likely to become the world’s second-largest economy in 2030. Its hefty foreign
11. exchange reserves should provide cushion in any future financial crisis. One has to expect,
12. however, that China’s military power and political reach will increase commensurately.
13. What will this rise of power mean for the United States, and for US – China relations? Some
14. analysts, claiming to be “Realists”, argue that conflict among major powers is, quite simply
15. inevitable. Rising powers, they suggest, will always mount a full-frontal challenge at the dominant
16. power in the system. Nations will always pursue their interests in maximizing their position at the
17. expense of others. International relations are all but impervious to changes. A logic debilitating
18. competition is immutable. With the risk of being expelled from the Realists’ club, I beg to disagree.
19. For one thing, we are at a moment of unprecedenting American strength. American strength reinforces, and works in tandem with, the physical and moral muscle of the network of bilateral
20. alliances, which we have built in Asia. The United States and its allies, who are wealthy, strong, and
21. share interests and values, would resist any effort to overturn the very international order has made possible their wealth and growth.

the tran
30-01-2003, 02:24
This is my version. Perhaps there are still mistakes in it, but I'd like to share with all. Hope to have chance to compare with others to correct my mistakes. Cheer...

1. There is no denying that China now plays a big role in the region and the world than ever before.
2. The interaction between China’s citizens and other countries is more intense. China’s
3. manufacturing exports – and increasingly, its citizens’ demands for imports – bulk larger in the global
4. economy. China’s military is acquiring with unprecedented new capabilities. This is all more
5. remarkable because it happened so rapidly. China has quadrupled its GDP since 1978, and real
6. GDP has grown average around 9% per year from 1978 and 1995. Today, its GDP stands at more
7. than $ 1.1 trillion. China’s foreign trade grew at around 13% per year for the same period, making
8. China today the world’s fourth largest trade nation. In the 1900s, China became the world’s second-
9. largest recipient of foreign direct investments. Its military spending is growing by double-digits. Many
10. argue that China is likely to become the world’s second-largest economy in 2030. Its hefty foreign
11. exchange reserves should provide a cushion in any future financial crisis. One has to expect,
12. however, that China’s military power and political reach will increase commensurately.
13. What will this rising of power mean for the United States, and for US – China relations? Some
14. analysts, claimed to be “Realists”, argue that conflict among major powers is, quite simply
15. inevitable. Rising powers, they suggest, will always mount a full-frontal challenge at the dominant
16. power in the system. Nations will always pursue their interests in maximizing their position at the
17. expanding of others. International relations are all but impervious to changes. A logic debilitating
18. competition is immutable. With the risk of being expelled from the Realists’ club, I beg to disagree.
19. For one thing, we are at a moment of unprecedented American strength. American strength reinforces, and works in tandem with physical and moral muscle of the network of bilateral
20. alliances, which we have built in Asia. The United States and its allies, who are wealthy, strong, and
21. sharing interests and values, would resist any effort to overturn the very international order has made possible their wealth and growth.

mystix
31-01-2003, 12:27
WoW! I'm impressed that at 10th grade, students are doing this kind of hardwork! This article isn't an easy one to understand since I believe it's written by a professional for a magazine or something. Some vocabularies used in this articles could be listed under the 'big word' category :)

Anyhow, if there were many errors in this articles before fireball posted it, I believe fireball caught almost all of them already - which is very impressive!

I'll give my best shot here even though I'm somewhat confused while reading this piece of writing :o

4...... This is all the more >>> This is more

6...................from 1978 and 1995 >>> from 1978 to 1995

14........ claiming to be "Realists" >>> who claim to be "Realist"

19....... moment of unprecedenting American strength >>> moment of unprecedented American strength

21..... and share interests and values >>> sharing interests and values

fireball
31-01-2003, 20:20
Thanks for your answers :). HN Ams is a specialized high school and pupils have to learn such kind of hardwork. And especilally, in specialized language classes, the beginning lessons are toefl...
That's test..it's not the most difficult one for them:(
I haven't got its key, and some mistakes haven't been found yet. So I posted...please keep up.
My answers:

1. large --> larger ( "than ever")
2. between --> among
3. larger --> large: ( coz "to bulk large in sth" = "đóng vai trò nổi bật").
4. with--> X (acquire smt)
5. with-->and.
6. and --> to.
7. not sure, but I think the tran was right (about--> around)
8. today 0 --> today become.
9. investments---> investment
10. many argue -->many arguements.
11. not sure
12. not sure.
13. mean for --> mean to
14. claiming --> claimed
15. inevitable --. inevitably.
16. position -->positions.
17. not sure.
18. I beg to disagree ---> I beg to differ (often used to express disagreement) (?)
19. unprecedenting --> unprecedented.
20. alliances --> allience
21. share --> sharing.